A reliable network firewall helps your company keep unauthorized visitors from accessing valuable business resources.
Instead of providing only point products that set a base level of security, Cisco embeds network firewall security throughout the network and integrates security services in all its products. As a result, network firewall security becomes a transparent, scalable, and manageable aspect of the business infrastructure.
Network Firewall: An Integrated Approach
Cisco offers several integrated network firewall solutions to help secure various network environments:
- ASA 5500 Series: Controls network access at the WAN edge or within the LAN
- Cisco IOS Firewall:Helps control application traffic
- Firewall Services Module (FWSM) for Catalyst 6500 Series Switches and 7600 Series Routers: Allows a port to act as a firewall and protect traffic within the LAN or at the network perimeter
- Embedded Firewall Services in the ASR 1000 Series Routers: Adds firewall functions at the network perimeter to protect network services
- Web Application Firewall: Helps XML-based application traffic securely reach its destination
You can deploy these firewalls separately or combine them for a layered, defense-in-depth approach. Each network firewall is designed in accordance with the best practices and guidance developed for real-world solutions in theCisco SAFE Architecture.
Managing a Network Firewall
To help you manage your network firewall solutions, Cisco provides:
- Integrated device managers
- Security Manager
- Security Monitoring, Analysis and Response System (MARS)